Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 15 minutes | Cook Time: 0 hours 37 minutes
Plant Based Spag Bowl
My kids love spag bowl. It is the highlight of their week's menu. In fact, it would be a HUGE problem if it was not included in our meal plan on a weekly basis.
So I just love this recipe which makes the meatballs completely plant based. Call them Veggie Balls, Zucchini Balls, or Meatless 'Meat'Balls - what is certain is that they're yummy!
Serve with brown rice or wholegrain spaghetti.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 360g whole zucchini, grated
- 200g carrot, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped spinach
- 1 cup wholegrain or gluten freebreadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Heat the oven to 190°C approx 180 fanbake. Line a baking tray with baking / parchment paper.
- Place the olive oil in a skillet at medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden,about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini to a colander and remove any excess water. Mixin with breadcrumbs, egg, and spinach.
- Roll into balls on baking tray and bake for 20 - 25 minutes
- Heat sauce in large saucepan. Add zucchini balls and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve.